6 Tips to have you Marketing Like a Pro
Marketing your business is essential. Without it, you won’t have a business. Creating the perfect marketing strategy can be really tricky if you don’t understand the basics.
Here are 6 tips to have you marketing like a pro.
1. Who Are You Talking To?
It’s important to understand your customer (target audience). Marketing strategies are only effective if they are resonating with your target audience. If you are unsure of exactly who your ideal customer is, try one of the following methods:
Take a look at who is purchasing your products and services. How old are they, how much are they spending, what gender are they, who are they purchasing for? The answers will also help you to define your audience.
Google Analytics is an incredible tool that will help you understand who is visiting your website and how they are engaging with it. This data is broken down into many valuable aspects all of which will help you determine your target or niche market – gender, age, location, product and services that interests them, etc.
If you are using Facebook to market your business, take a look at your Insights. This valuable marketing data will tell you exactly who has visited your page, read your content and commented on your wall. This data is broken down into gender and age as well.
When you understand your audience, you will sell more. Promise!
2. Be Clear. Be Enticing:
Even if you have the most well designed website or promotional materials, it’s the feature text that can really connect with your customer. Make sure your text is clear, concise, enticing and invokes a response with the viewer. For example:
- Instead of saying “Spa Sale”, try this text instead “When was the last time you indulged yourself?”.
- Instead of saying “New: French Roast Coffee”, try “How about a french kiss for a good morning?”
- Instead of saying “Custom built motorcycles”, try “Build your bike. Define your freedom”
When you engage and entice your audience, you will get results.
3. Sometimes it’s as simple as asking:
Adding elements in your website, social media or advertising that require a reaction from your audience will get results. This may include “click here” text or a link that promises to “get your FREE sample”. If we use the spa example text from the above point, we might add the following call-to-action:
- “When was the last time you indulged yourself? You deserve to click here” OR
- “When was the last time you indulged yourself? Click here and treat yourself”.
The most important thing to remember is to follow up with the reward you promise. You do not want to disappoint your audience and develop a poor reputation full of false promises.
4. Use Words That Sell:
Words influence emotions and persuade action.That’s why using powerful and effective words in your text is important. Here are a few words that have been statistically proven to get results:
- Sale: Everyone loves a good deal. This word is a powerful motivator.
- Discount: Offering a discount (percentage off, package deals, free shipping etc) always piques interest and gives a customer incentive to purchase.
- Best Seller: Popularity encourages interest. People buy when others have too. Outlining a list of best-selling products or services is the perfect way to capture additional sales.
- Be the first: Who doesn’t love an exclusive deal? Encourage your customer to take action sooner rather than later with your exclusive offers.
- Thank you: Marketing is about building relationships. And relationships build business. Thanking your customers for your business successes goes a long way. Thank your customers with a new deal or host a customer appreciation event.
5. Less is More:
You’ve heard the saying “less is more”. This concept should be at the forefront of your approach when designing your marketing materials. Most of us fall into the trap of packing our promotional materials with too many details, photos, and information. Most think that the more their audience is informed, the more sales will occur. This couldn’t be further from the truth.
Do NOT over do the details. Make sure your materials contain enticing text, memorable graphics and a link to your website where they will find all the additional details they need.
6. Mix it Up and Keep it Unique:
If you find a marketing approach that works, stick with it. But also remember to try a few new ideas too. Having a variety of marketing strategies will help you to define the best method of selling your products and services. Some ideas include:
- Check out what your competition is doing. Do not copy them, but do find inspiration in their approach. Then mix it up a bit. Standing out from your competitors allows you to
- Have fun with different seasonal events. Christmas, Halloween, Valentine’s Day etc. are all fabulous opportunities to mix up your approach.
- Offer free downloads, discounts, competitions or contests.
- Share awards or press releases that recognize your business. People like to buy into those who are doing well.